Monday, March 26, 2012

facing my fears w/quinoa

My friend, Hanna, has been talking about quinoa for a while now, but I've been too scared to cook it! She knows me so well! She gave me fair warning and told me that I'd probably be grossed out by it. Not because I have a weird aversion to all things healthy, but because I suffer from Trypophobia! Or what I renamed, clusterphobia (not to be confused with claustrophobia).
*** Warning: clicking on the link above may cause major goosebumps!***

I had a moment of braveness last week and decided to cook it up for dinner. As I was washing it, I could find myself getting grossed out but I pressed on! I cooked it in some chicken broth and sat back for 15 minutes. That was just enough time for me to pump myself to actually open up the lid and see the cooked quinoa with the little rings around it. I'm getting chills just thinking about it again!

The good news is I realized that quinoa tastes great... if I'm not looking at it too intently while I eat. I know, I sound like a freak of nature!

IMG_5416

I sauteed up some onion, garlic, and spinach, roasted up some broccoli, opened up a can of sweet corn and threw it all together with the quinoa. Season it up with some salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes, and it tasted pretty dang good. But why does it have to look like that?!

My next goal is to intently stare and enjoy a dragon fruit. EEK!


5 comments:

  1. ugggggghhhhhh i clicked on the link about trypophobia and I always died. I have chills and goosebumps ALL OVER MY FREAKIN BODY... ugghghghghghghghghgghhg


    but my sister did say Quinoa is really indeed good for you too..

    uggh. damn with little wholes.. uggghhhghghghg

    ReplyDelete
  2. me too, me too, me too!!! why did i click on that link? it gave me goosebumps on my head and butt! hahahahahaha! and gross! i am like you. i don't like those holey textures in things. and i will never be able to overcome that... i think. :) it SOUNDS delish (your dish), but i don't think i can make it, much less eat it. you are much braver than i am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I SHOULD HAVE WARNED YOU ABOUT CLINKING IT!!!!! just thinking about it makes me wanna rip my skin off!!!!! sdjf;a;jasdkf;jad

    ReplyDelete
  4. i don't like holey things either but i always feel the need to look! haha and so i got tempted and of course I had to click on the link haha :( i had no idea what quinoa was either, until hanna too.. yayy

    ReplyDelete